Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Copaxone Experience

I was actually reluctant to post about my experience in fear of persuading anyone not to try Copaxone as a treatment to slow the progression of Multiple Sclerosis.

Since this blog is about my life with MS, I will share my personal experience. This is not the first time that I’ve been on Copaxone, in fact throughout the years, I have taken all 4 of the disease modifying injectable meds for MS with unfavorable results. My body tends to react unfavorably to certain medications.  I am still confident that a cure will be found for MS, or at least a medication that will work for me.

I was on Copaxone (daily injections) for only two days this time around; it all began March 8th when I took the first injection around 2pm.  Within an hour of taking the medication, I began to get a headache and then pain spread throughout the rest of my body. If you can only imagine, I was in total body pain, I hurt all over and just wanted to lie in bed and cry.

By the next morning, I was starting to feel a little better, so I went ahead and took the injection later in the day.  And, the same thing happened.  About an hour after taking the Copaxone injection, the overwhelming pain was back with a vengeance.

After two days of dealing with these "completely unheard of before" side effects, I had had it and immediately stopped giving myself shots.  After contacting my Neurologist’s office, they also agreed to stop the shot. I didn’t care if they agreed or not, I had no intentions of ever taking this medication again.

Along with MS, I have also been blessed with Fibromyalgia, which makes it difficult finding medications for one condition that doesn’t increase symptoms or cause a flare with the other.  I am still dealing with the pain and fatigue of Fibromyalgia & MS together, although it isn't quite as severe as the last two weeks have been.

Disclaimer: Copaxone is a disease modifying drug used to treat Multiple Sclerosis by slowing the progression of the disease.  Many MS patients have great results while using Copaxone.  My experience is not typical.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry Kim you had to go through that. I have Lupus with the Fibro and CFS and nothing seems to help with all of it! Meds are frustrating. The steroids have caused my bones to soften and I have 7 compression fractures and now they want to send me to Mayo. Why cant these things be easy?
    I will pray that you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Joaness, I'm so sorry, you must be in some serious pain! I hate steroids and will definately keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete