Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Optic Neuritis

Just as things are going well with my Multiple Sclerosis (MS), I get socked with another bout of Optic Neuritis (ON). Even though I've had ON a few times in my 13 years of being diagnosed with MS, I didn't suspect it right away. In the past, I've had moderate to extreme pain along with the blurry, distorted and sometimes double vision. Thankfully, I'm just experiencing the blurry vision in one eye with an odd feeling of eye strain, without the dreaded pain.

Definition from the Mayo Clinic, "Optic neuritis is an inflammation of the optic nerve, the bundle of nerve fibers in your eye that transmits visual information to your brain. Pain and temporary vision loss are common symptoms of optic neuritis."

According to my Neuro-Opthamologist, if this current exacerbation of optic neuritis follows the same course as previous ones, it should be gone in a few weeks without too much permanent nerve damage.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully your eyes will get better, I had optic neuritis 30 years ago, and have not had it since. I know all MS is different on everyone.
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, thanks for commenting on my blog! The ON ran it's course, although I still have some leftover effects of it, but I don't let it stop me, lol.

    ReplyDelete